Thursday 9 April 2009

Family and holidays

In Sweden this day is almost like a bankholiday - most people work only half day. It's a bit like Halloween - children are dressed up like "påskkärringar" - ugly women, similar to wiches. They knock on every door and hand out selfmade cards, wishing people a Happy Easter and they will get sweets in return. This is a family holiday, but I start to wonder what have happened to my family. We have no traditions what so ever! We don't care wether it's Fathers Day or almost not even when it's someones birthday. We don't celebrate Christmas that much either. That makes me sad...

Since my Grandmother past away a lot of the traditions went with her. She tried to keep my father and his brothers together and twice a year I had the opportunity to meet my cousins.

My family are spread all over the world. My parents are divorsed, my sister lives in England... We are all split up! I don't like Family Holidays because I feel really lonely. Maybe it will be better if I have a family on my own, a boyfriend and children, but will that ever happen?

My father just called me and invited me for dinner tomorrow and that feels good! He lives together with Gunnel, and her daughter has just had a baby - so I will meet the baby for the first time tomorrow. I hardly know Jill, the babys mother, but I'm sooo excited to meet the baby. I never thought I would get this "baby-sick"...

No comments: